How to Get Rid of that Dry Winter Skin
Spring has officially sprung! The sun is shining, the days are getting longer and finally we can start to break out our shorts and tees again! After this cooler Winter weather your skin is probably feeling a little on the dryer side! This is because when the weather is colder, your skin is not so great at holding water! So, as we start to get warm again (in Australia) this is the best way to prep your skin for summer to ensure a natural and hydrated glow all year round! If you are one of our friends in the UK or US where it’s starting to get chilly again, this will help you to protect your skin and fight off that dryness!
Tip #1 – Make Your Own Luxury Hydrating Body Oil
Body Oils are excellent for achieving that super hydrating experience for your skin. Because a body oil has a very similar composition to the natural oils found on your skin, the oil is readily absorbed helping your body to naturally repair and rebalance its moisture levels. Oils also have a fatty composition which are naturally rich with antioxidants and nutrients that will nourish your skin.
- Find yourself a small spray bottle or container that you can use to mix your oil
- Add 100ml of your base oil of choice. For hydration we recommend using either coconut or sweet almond oil but you can even use a highly quality extra virgin olive oil or sunflower oil if you don’t have those on hand.
- Next for added benefits and a beautiful fragrance add 20 drops of your favorite essential oil. You can use our Relaxing Lavender for a beautiful calming scent or Energising Peppermint to wake up your mind and body. Or maybe even a combination of both! If you want to test out to your scent combos, apply a couple drops to a cotton ball and waft the scent under your nose. If you are spending some time in the sun, best to avoid citrus oils as they can react with sunlight
- If you are looking to help heal any scars or blemishes on your skin, you can also add Rosehip or Argan Oil
- Once all of your ingredients are in your bottle, put on the lid and SHAKE to combine.
- Now that your body oil is ready we recommend applying to damp skin, fresh out the shower, to help your skin absorb all the hydrating benefits!
Tip #2 – Turn down the temp
Now that the weather is getting warmer don’t be afraid to turn down the temperature in your shower! Showering for long periods of time with super hot water can really dry out your skin. Try to cut down your shower to 5 – 10 mins and be mindful of how hot your water is!
Tip #3 – Look for Clean and Natural Ingredients
Using products that contain harsh chemicals and unnatural ingredients can really damage your skin’s protective barrier causing irritation and dryness. If you want to protect your skin, products with a naturally derived formula can help to restore and heal. Here are some great naturally derived ingredients that are excellent for hydration to look out for:
Organic Shea Butter: I’m sure you have heard of Shea Butter before because it’s used in SO many lotions and moisturizers but for a good reason! Shea Butter is a natural emollient, meaning it helps to fill out the dry areas of your skin with its natural oils for a smoother and softer feel. At Freshwater Farm ALL of our body bars are triple milled with Organic Shea Butter to ensure you get that luxury lather every time you use our soap bars! The Organic Shea Butter helps to keep your skin hydrated and nourished.
Olive Oil: Olive Oil is an excellent ingredient for hydration as it helps to prevent water loss from the skin. It is also rich with many vitamins including A, D, E, and K which help to protect to protect your skin and improve its health. Using an olive oil based soap or wash is the perfect way to ensure your skin receives all the hydrating benefits of olive oil without clogging your pores.
Glycerin: Glycerin acts as a moisturiser to help make your skin smoother and softer. Being a humectant, it hydrates your skin by helping to draw in moisture from the environment and retain it in the top layer of your skin. It works best when used with other hydrating ingredients like oils and plant butters that it can draw moisture from. You see this in all of our body bars where glycerin is also combined with olive oil and shea butter to give your skin the best experience.
Tip #4 – Try an Oatmeal Bath
If you really enjoy taking baths, try adding a few handfuls of colloidal oatmeal to your bath! Colloidal Oatmeal has some wonderful anti-inflammatory properties that help to heal your skin. Blend the oatmeal into a powder and add into the water whilst the bath is running. Make sure the water is warm (not scalding hot) and do not stay in the bath longer than 15 mins to avoid drying out your skin. Be sure to moisture right after your bath!
We hope these hydrating tips were helpful for you! Which ones will you try?